Friday, August 28, 2020

Fitting the collar to the pony!

It never ends!  As with riding big horses, mini driving horse tack has to be just so.  Everything has to fit well, work well between pony and cart, adjusted as perfectly as we can get it.  Safety and comfort are on the line.  Last post found me needing additional harness parts and cart shaft adjustment.  It is so far above my brain that I must be honest and admit that I sometimes want to just give up and keep the minis as pets.  But, I always come back to my senses.  I want to drive Rosie.  I tell myself that I WILL learn about driving much like I have learned about riding.  It's just been so long since I have felt inadequate and inexperienced ... it gets tough.

Rosie's new collar arrived.  It's a 15".  Here are pictures of the new one.  I think it fits much better.  She has an over-full neck (AKA:  FAT).  She's likely to fit back into her 14" collar when she gets driving and loses weight.

The new 15” collar.






The 15" again.  There is a big gap at the base of the neck, but I think it’s ok and she will definitely be able to breathe ok.



Compare that to the 14" collar that sits on her neck, rather than against her shoulders.  I think you would agree the 15" is the better choice.  14" below.


Below:  The 14", Way too tight for her breathing. 




So, I think the 15" collar is the way to go.  I have 16" hames, which should work with either size ... at least I'm hoping!  I tell you, it will be SUCH a relief when everything gets adjusted and sized properly and I can just hitch and go.  But then ... how much you want to bet her body changes and I need to do more adjusting!  The fun never stops!  At least Rosie is patient about it all.  She is just perfect and I feel so lucky to have her.  Love my girl!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment